A rich tradition at the Dog & Partridge
The pub has a rich and colourful history dating back to the Georgian era and it's full of character. Since taking over in 2012, Paul and Becky have made it a labour of love to turn the Dog & Partridge into a must-visit destination.
Named as one of CAMRA's Top 200 Local Pubs in 2015, and Rural Pub of the Year by the local CAMRA branch, we pride ourselves on our delicious and imaginative food and drink selection, and consistently appear at the top of the TripAdvisor listings in the area. Needless to say we're in the Good Beer Guide too.
Far enough off the beaten track to feel like a peaceful retreat, yet still handily placed for attractions such as the Peak District, Staffordshire Moorlands, Alton Towers, Uttoxeter Racecourse and Sudbury Hall, as well as the historic market towns of Uttoxeter, Ashbourne and Tutbury, the National Football Centre at St George's Park and Britain's brewing capital, Burton upon Trent.
We serve delicious home cooked meals, including vegetarian options, using high quality produce and we have an imaginative selection of wines, spirits and beers, including locally brewed ales. We're a free house so there's always a varied selection of guest ales, impeccably kept.
We have our own car park, and at busy times extra spaces are available in the village church car park nearby.
If you're looking to extend your stay in the area we can put you in touch with B&B, caravan and camping facilities in the local area. Marchington also boasts a thriving village shop.
social club outing, family celebration ... even a wedding reception: We can take group bookings for up to 50 people. to discuss your requirements call us on 01283 820394.
A Brief History of Marchington
Marchington is a small, attractive village in East Staffordshire, England. It lies between the towns of Burton upon Trent and Uttoxeter, not far from the banks of the River Dove. In many ways it is an idyllic English village.
Marchington village was settled by the Saxons and is recorded in the Doomsday Book. An even older settlement lay at the top of Marchington Cliff. Though originally closely aligned with the Brook, the present road pattern can be traced back to the 13th century, their antiquity marked by their deeply sunken character. The oldest surviving houses possibly date back to the 15th century, although it is difficult to be precise because of the custom of continuously building on and around older buildings. Marchington Hall is probably evidence of this as, although bricked over and restored in the late 17th century, it is thought to be mentioned in a reference dated 1297 as the "chief messuage" and again in 1615 as "utterly decayed".
What is now Marchington Woodlands was literally woodland at the time of Doomsday, but was steadily cleared over the next two or three centuries, including a number of substantial estates now marked by abandoned moats. It remained essentially open woodland pasture held in common by the parishioners. In late Elizabethan times it was enclosed, establishing the field pattern which has largely remained unaltered to the present day. The prosperity of Marchington and The Woodlands has been based from earliest recorded history on dairy farming and today's landscape is rooted deep in the past.
Marchington Woodlands is spread out of an area of around 3 miles. There are two areas called Scounslow Green and Gorsty Hill. The area around Marchington Woodlands is undulating and there are large wooded areas and forests. The area extends SW from Marchington to the distance of three miles. It has a church and a village hall. The local first school was closed in the 1990s and the building was converted into a private home. Marchington Woodlands consists mostly of farms and cottages. It is often referred to by locals as The Woodlands. Marchington Woodlands became a village in 1859 with the opening of the Parish church.
It is also the location of Smallwood Manor, formerly the seat of Thomas Webb, Esq, now a Prep school for Denstone College.